Lionel Messi's interview with France Football

Lionel Messi's interview with France Football

Lionel Messi won the men’s Ballon d’Or for a record-extending seventh time on 29th November, ending the year in style after a brilliant final season with Barcelona and earning his first major international trophy with Argentina.
The Argentine star gave an interview to France Football after the magazine awarded him his seventh Ballon d'Or, and plenty of ground was covered.

"I'm happy with everything that has been happening," Messi said.

"But, I do have to admit that sometimes I would like to be able to go out unnoticed and enjoy family time without being recognised."

"I'm not complaining, though, as it's always nice to receive a compliment or a smile or to be asked for a photo. I'm used to that and it has become normal for me."

"I am a different person when around those I trust, like my friends and family. With others, maybe I'm a little shy."

"With the people I know, I'm normal and in good spirits and try to enjoy every moment."


TALKING ABOUT HIS BATTLES WITH CRISTIANO RONALDO 
"I have always wanted to better myself, not look at what others were doing," he said.

"There was competition with Cristiano Ronaldo as we were in the same league for several years. That was great and helped us grow in our careers, but without looking directly at each other.

"I just wanted to be the best I could be."


WHILE MESSI REMAINS AS COMPETITIVE AS EVER, HE HAS MELLOWED OVER THE YEARS.

"I'm different now, ever since I had children," he revealed.

"That helps me to put things in perspective.

"Before them, I used to spend a lot of time staying away from people and not wanting to talk to anybody when I had lost.

"When I was young, I grow up hating defeat and wanted to win all the time. I still want to win every match."

ON REJECTING THE NUMBER 10
"The ’10’ was for him. I came to a new team to help. It was an extraordinary gesture on his part, but I expected it because I know Neymar".

"We spent time together at Barcelona and we are friends. It seemed fairer to me that he kept the number ’10’. That's why I took another one that I liked [30].”

WHAT HE THINKS ABOUT BEING CONSIDERED THE BEST FOOTBALLER IN HISTORY:
"I never said I'm the best in history nor do I try to push that perception myself. For me, being considered by others as one of the best in history is more than enough."

"It's something I would never have imagined. It's something that doesn't interest me, it doesn't change anything whether I'm considered the best or not. And I never wanted to be.”

THOUGHTS ON COMPARISON WITH MARADONA:
"I have never compared myself with Maradona. Honestly, I have never compared myself with Diego, absolutely never."

"I never paid attention to those comparisons, although some criticisms did bother me in the past. I had difficult times in the national team, but not for those reasons."

"I often get some criticism that makes me angry, but they stay in the changing room. They should stay there, in private."

"It's the intimacy that makes the group stronger, plus the fact that we can get pissed off and tell each other to our faces the things that can be improved. This can happen to me and to other players."

ON BEING A ROLE MODEL FOR OTHERS:

"I don't know if I am a role model for others. I never really liked being a role model or giving advice. I fought for my own dreams.

At the beginning it was to be a professional player, then I fought to improve myself and reach new objectives every year. In those moments there is a bit of luck. I believe that God chose everything that has been given to me."


Post a Comment

0 Comments